Case Study of the Month
EI Education International (EI Worldwide) Ltd.
Nature of Site:
EI Worldwide: a 1000+ page site showcasing university programs
- Australia, and
- New Zealand.
- An administrative nightmare: 225 broken (internal) links affecting 892 pages due to manual method of maintaining site;
- No Control: Dependence on an external agency for all web site maintenance (at a
- Errors and out-of-date information on the site: Client information was separately maintained in two places—once in their internal (i.e. corporate) database, and once in the website.
BellaCoola Software’s Approach:
- PHASE I: Get the site working
PHASE II: Build a snap-shot database
- PHASE III: Build a Dynamic database
The Final Result:
- No more broken links: An automated site management tool guarantees
- Full client control of content: Client’s in-house staff is now able to make their own changes to the site without requiring any knowledge of HTML.
- A Self-maintaining site: The majority of the site's content is extracted directly from the corporate database and synchronized with a database on the web server. As people visit the site, up-to-the-minute content is "poured" into pre-made "moulds" and presented
to visitors on-the-fly. A full site synchronization typically takes less than 5 minutes.
- Security: Because only public information is stored on the web server outside the corporate firewall, sensitive corporate information is not subject to attack.
Our Client’s Reaction:
“WOW!!! It looks really great, and, even better, it really works well! David [the President] and I are thrilled. It is very fast too, which is nice. I
thought it would be slower.”
- Lisa Almond, BComm, DistinctionMarketing Coordinator & Website Manager
EI Worldwide Ltd.
“Another outstanding review of our website!!!! One of our newest clients, the Canadian Securities Institute, informed me that one of the keys to them going ahead with us was our website. My
contact's boss was worried about our quality, etc. since they had never heard of us. She suggested he look at the web, and after spending some time on our site, was quite impressed and they booked. Kudos Lisa and thanks!!”
- Vice-President, Corporate Services
EI Worldwide Ltd.
Their Clients’ Reaction:
“Congratulations on a good looking website. I was easily able to find the information about our ESL Program and
was pleased to see how much information was there. Thanks much for this great service!”
- Peter W. LeeUniversity of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Intensive English Program
“I am the representative from the University of Rochester (a listing on your site) who worked with your company to develop our pages. I just wanted to let
you know our pages look great! Thanks again for all your assistance. I look forward to the response from students that this site is sure to generate.”
- Jennifer Majewski
Coordinator of Publicity and Special Programs
Office of Special Programs
University of Rochester
The Details on How We Did It:
PHASE I: GET THE SITE WORKING.
We slurped the site into a high-end site management tool and
then automatically identified and fixed all broken links.
We also added invisible visitor tracking widgets to analyze:
- visitor behaviour,
- search engine keywords being used to reach the site,
- browser capabilities (plug-ins installed, etc).
PHASE II: BUILD A SNAP-SHOT DATABASE
We then took the most often changed part of the site and created a number of self-modifying templates. When re-publishing their site, it would take a "snap-shot" of their corporate database, create the 1000+ HTML pages locally, and FTP them to the server.
The client was now able to fully maintain their site, without having to:
- call an outside agency each time, or
double-check the information on the web site.
PHASE III: BUILD A DYNAMIC DATABASE
The final step was in separating the "content" from the "presentation" of the site on the server itself.
We built a system that automatically
extracted the majority of the site's content from the corporate database and synchronized it with a database on the web server.
As people visit the site, up-to-the-minute content is "poured" into pre-made "moulds" and presented to visitors on-the-fly. This content is fully searchable and is automatically kept in sync with the company's internal databases.
A full-site synchronization typically takes under 5 minutes.
About BellaCoola Software Corp...
Creating platform independent "smart" web pages.
BellaCoola Software Corp. is an international software boutique focused on helping Fortune 500 companies create and maintain smart web pages and dynamic
Drawing on a global team of talent, BellaCoola's programming expertise includes:
- custom Java,
- and Perl
with an emphasis on NT and UNIX database solutions. Each member of the BellaCoola
team has over 10 years' professional experience.
Not sure how to bring your existing applications to the Web? Chances are, we've seen a problem just like yours before, and can solve it quickly and efficiently.
For a FREE no obligation quote, please contact John Charlesworth at:
BellaCoola®, WebHound® and
Adios® are registered trademarks of BellaCoola Software Corporation.
BellaCoola Software Corporation, 2346 Hamiota Street, Victoria BC CANADA V8R 2N2
Tel: 250/384-6237 email:
Copyright ©1996-2020,BellaCoola Software Corp., All Rights Reserved